Moore Town Maroons
Formerly New Nanny Town, Moore Town is the home of the Moore Town Maroons. Nanny of the Maroons is Jamaica’s only female national hero. The Maroons of Nanny Town were first allotted 500 acres of land after the signing of the Peace Treaty in 1740. "Granny Nanny" saw the need for more land and made a request to the British government in 1781. There was an allotment of 1,270 acres of land which was called Moretown. Due to misunderstanding and errors, the town name was recorded in the survey document as Muretown and later Moore Town. Maroons also live in neighbouring Cornwall Barracks.
A monument dedicated to the memory of this successful warrior chieftess is located at the site called Nanny Bump, Moore Town where Nanny is believed to have been buried. Old Nanny Town is an archaeological site deep within the Blue Mountains.
The Windward Maroons used their knowledge of the mountains, forests and rivers to their advantage in their war with the British. These wars stopped only because of the Peace Treaty which gave the Maroons their sovereignty. One way the Maroon warriors hid was by disappearing behind waterfalls such as Nanny Falls near Maroon Town. Here is a photo of Nanny Falls today; you can imagine that almost three hundred years ago, the Falls were much wider allowing the warriors to run behind it and disappear into the forests on the other side or perhaps a cave.
The music of the Moore Town Maroons was declared by the UNESCO as a Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity in 2005.